Russian cyber attack warded off in Poland: defence minister
PR dla Zagranicy
Polish Defence Minister Antoni Macierewicz said on Friday that a Russian cyber attack has been warded off in Poland.
Image: kalhh/pixabay.com/CC0 Creative Commons
He said the attack targeted companies in Ukraine which had branches in other countries.
“While in other European countries [the branches] were disrupted, in Poland they were not," Macierewicz said on state television broadcaster TVP.
"We have seen another, the third, cyber attack by Russia. Fortunately, in Poland we warded it off, but this threat is increasing every day," Macierewicz added.
He did not give details.
On Monday, Macierewicz said Poland was to have a “cyber army” numbering at least 1,000 soldiers within several years capable of waging warfare in cyberspace.
He told the “Cybersec” European Cybersecurity Forum in Kraków, southern Poland, that the country had earmarked PLN 2 billion (EUR 465m, USD 545m) for the initiative.
Polish Prime Minister Beata Szydło announced earlier this week that a new department of cybersecurity would be set up in her office.