Polish parliament declared safe after bomb scare
PR dla Zagranicy
An unidentified package triggered a bomb scare in front of Poland’s parliament on Friday morning, but officials said no explosives had been found.
Government security detail in front of the houses of parliament in central Warsaw on Friday. Photo: PAP/Bartłomiej Zborowski
Security officers inspected the suspicious package and ruled out the presence of explosives, an official said, but added that “further examination of the contents” would be carried out.
All lawmakers taking part in a session of the lower house of parliament, the Sejm, at the time as well as those in the area in front of the parliament building were safe, Andrzej Grzegrzółka, head of the Sejm Information Centre (CIS), said.
Officers from the Government Security Bureau (BOR) were called in together with parliamentary guards, Grzegrzółka told Poland’s PAP news agency. (gs)